Diocese of Madison Catholic
Committee on Scouting
Who We Are
The Diocese of Madison Catholic Committee on Scouting (DMCCS) is a committee of the Catholic Diocese of Madison. The DMCCS serves Catholic Scouting in the following 11 Wisconsin counties: Columbia, Dane, Grant, Green, Green Lake, Iowa, Jefferson, Lafayette, Marquette, Rock, and Sauk. Diocesan map
The DMCCS is granted authority by the Bishop of the Diocese of Madison to operate in accordance with its bylaws.
The DMCCS office is located in the Bishop O'Connor Cathlic Pastoral Center in Madison, WI. Office location map and driving directions.
Mission, Vision, and Values
To serve members of Girl Scout and Boy Scout programs in the growth of their Catholic Faith.
The Diocese of Madison Catholic Committee on Scouting sees as our vision the constructive use of the Girl Scout and Boy Scout Programs as a viable form of youth ministry within our Diocese. The committee seeks to:
Provide guidance, leadership, resources, services, and events for the education and formation of youth and adults
Promote, expand, and strengthen the Girl Scout and Boy Scout Programs for Catholics.
In response to the Gospel and in pursuit of our mission and vision, we act in accord with these values:
1. The Baptismal call of each person to discipleship and ministry in the Catholic Faith
2. The wisdom of shared leadership
3. The richness of diversity
4. The gifts of young people
5. The equal and unique nature of Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts
6. The stewardship of service to others.
Relationships with Other Organizations
Relationships with National Catholic Scouting Organizations
The DMCCS is associated with:
- The National Catholic Committee on Scouting (NCCS), a church committee of concerned Catholic laity and clergy which is advisory to the BSA; and
- The National Catholic Committee for Girl Scouts and Camp Fire (NCCGSCF), a management committe of the National Federation for Catholic Youth Ministry (NFCYM);
The DMCCS operates and promotes NCCS and NCCGSCF religious awards programs and religious training programs for youth, adults, and Catholic-chartered Boy Scouting units in the Diocese of Madison.
Relationships with the GSUSA and BSA
The DMCCS is not affiliated with the national Girl Scouts of the United States of America (GSUSA), the national Boy Scouts of America (BSA), their councils, or their Scouting units. However, the DMCCS cooperates with these organizations to promote Girl Scouting and Boy Scouting to Catholic girls, boys, young women, and young men within the Diocese of Madison.
Our Programs and Activities
The DMCCS operates religious programs and activities in the Diocese of Madison for youth in Girl Scouting and Boy Scouting, their adult Scout leaders, and Catholic-chartered Boy Scouting units. These programs and activities include:
· Religious emblems programs for Roman Catholic Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, Varsity Scouts, and Venturers
· Religious recognitions programs for Catholic Girl Scouts
· Catholic adult religious emblem and recognition programs
· Other religious award programs to encourage Catholic Scouts and adults in their faith
· Religious activities for Catholic Scouts and adults throughout the year
· Training programs for Scouts and adult Scout leader
· Other activities and programs
The DMCCS has a number of forms, publications, and presentations concerning these activities and programs.
How We Are Organized and Operate
The DMCCS reports to the Bishop, and includes:
· 11 Officers
· An Executive Board (consisting of the officers); and
· Standing and special committees
See Organizational Structure & Governing Documents for additional information concerning how we are organized and operate, including:
· DMCCS bylaws and other governing documents
· DMCCS organization chart
How You Can Support Catholic Scouting
You can support Catholic Scouting and the work of the DMCCS in the following ways:
- Pray for Catholic Scouts, Catholic adult Scout leaders and others working with Cahtolic Scouts, Scouting units (i.e., Girl Scout Troops, Cub Scout Packs, Boy Scout Troops, Varsity Teams, and Venture Crews), and other Scouting organizations.
- Publicly promote the vision, mission, and values of the DMCCS to Catholic parishes and other Catholic organizations in the Diocese, to Cathlic laity and clergy in the Diocese, and to the general public.
- Encourage Catholic youth to join a Scouting unit that is located within the boundaries of the Diocese of Madison.
- Encourage and support Catholic Scouts, Catholic adult Scout leaders, and Catholic-chartered Scouting units.
- Volunteer to assist a Scouting unit or become a registered adult Scout leader.
- Volunteer to help the DMCCS
- Become a DMCCS member
For More Information
Contact the DMCCS
Diocese of Madison Catholic Committee on Scouting c/oBishop O'Connor Catholic Pastoral Center
Street Address: 702 S. High Point Rd. Madison, WI 53719
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 44983 Madison, WI 53744-4983
Phone: (608) 821-3173 W Fax: (608) 821-3139
We welcome your questions & comments